Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Fifty-minute run. Ready for the Birthday Quadrathon

Sunday, April 8, 2012
It was Easter Sunday and we were hosting dinner shortly after church.  I knew we’d have a house full for most of the day and I’d likely eat all kinds of crap and not feel like exercising after they left, so that provided only one opportunity…run before church.  I took it.

I decided ahead that I’d go for fifty minutes and if it went well, I’d plan on doing the birthday triathlon the following Saturday…weather permitting.  I can only wonder what hold my birthday has over spring snow showers since they’ve visited on my previous two but with the way the spring has gone so far…I might just get it done.  And since I feel like I’m going to knock it off pretty easily, I’ve asked my crippled friend John who would normally be accompanying me on the bike to join me for a hike in the woods where I’d do some crazy shit while he watches…turning it into a ‘quadrathon’.

I headed for my favorite trails and said a prayer to the risen Lord.  I mentally monitored almost every footstep…particularly after 30 minutes, but it went too well.  I thought I felt something in the last 60 seconds, but stopped at the car, did some stretching and left feeling no calf pain.

I was bad in church, checking my resting pulse standing and sitting.  It was back to the high 40’s before the service was over.  We scooted home quickly…company was due in an hour…and I made and drank about 32 ounces of smoothie just before they arrived.  Holly had made chicken, ham, dumplings in gravy, sweet potatoes, corn, zucchini casserole, and broccoli salad for dinner to be followed by sticky buns, homemade peanut clusters, some kind of custard and a carrot cake for dessert.  I was adding weight breathing in the kitchen.  The smoothie was self-defense…a good offense is a good defense…or something like that.  I just figured it would take the edge off and I’d eat less bad stuff.  And it worked.  I limited myself to the sweet potatoes, corn and zucchini and had only enough dessert to be polite. 

Like my exercise program, I know that eating is planning.  I have trouble saying no to certain things and need to take preventive action.  Try it out.  It works.

Run Duration:  50 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 130 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  850.

No comments:

Post a Comment