Friday, April 13, 2012

"On your right!"

Wednesday, April 11, 2012
I am pretty sure that I’m not a sexist, though this next comment may make it seem that way.  Yet, I’m confused about something that, in my experience, all women do.

Some years ago, I was in the car wash business.  That’s a long story, but the relevant part is I would regularly assist women trying to line up their cars to enter our automatic car wash.  Often times I would find them cutting the steering wheel in the wrong direction and putting their cars up over the guide rail designed to keep their vehicle in the proper place during the wash.  In this situation, I would approach their car and tell them that they need to turn the car to the right or the left, as the case dictated.  In 100% of those incidents, whatever way I told them to cut the wheel, they would turn in the opposite direction.

“Hi there…you’re driving over the rail.  Turn your wheel to the right…no…no…your other right,” I’d say when they began turning to their left and making it worse.

I was riding up a hill in the North Chagrin Reservation recently on an all-purpose trail shared by hikers.  As I approached a couple of women from behind who were jabbering away and unaware of my approach…and taking up the entire trail…I had to determine a course of action to keep from hitting them.

“On your right,” I called loudly as I approached and moved my bike to the far right of the trail to pass.  The woman walking on the right, heard me and quickly moved further to her right and forcing me to ride off the trail to avoid hitting her.

“Oh…I’m sorry…I thought you said you were on my right?” she said.

“That is what I said…and that is where I am…in the ditch on your right.”

She looked at me like I was making no sense and the lady with her was also confused.  I guess I know the answer…if you mean right and you’re talking to a woman…say “left”.   I’m just wondering why it’s this way?

Bike Duration:  75 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories Burned: 1050.

No comments:

Post a Comment