Monday, April 16, 2012

Ride...crash...cramps...thank you, sir...may I have another?

Sunday, April 15, 2012
Holly asked me to take a hike in the neighborhood first thing in the morning and I didn’t want to say that I was saving myself for the long ride and workout scheduled for later in the morning.  After all…wasn’t I in fantastic shape?  As we walked though, I began to feel a dull ache in my hip…probably from the one-hour run of the previous day.  We did a quick 40 minutes and then I was ready for the bike.

I didn’t have a particular course in mind.  I’d decided instead to ride through Waite Hill, but then detour over to Kirtland and head east through Kirtland Hills and out towards Chardon.  It was a challenging course and I wanted to see some new things.  I found myself on Auburn Road near I90 and headed south on that route for some time.  It’s a busier route than I would normally travel, but it provided new scenery and some challenging climbs.

I had packed a banana and an apple in my little saddle bag, but was also feeling the need for something other than water to drink by the 2-hour mark.  It was warm and I was a lot of fluids and electrolytes…which for me spelled ‘cramping’ if I didn’t do something to replace them.  I stopped at a little gas station mart at the intersection of Mayfield and Bass Lake Roads.  I purchased a 32-ounce Gatorade, drank a third and poured the rest into one of my water bottles.  With the apple and the banana and some time off the bike, I felt rejuvenated and continued the journey. 

I again turned east on Butternut and continued riding in that direction until I ran into buggies and horses.  I was turning to come back at Burton/Windsor Road when I let my front tire slip off the edge of the road and get caught in the soft berm.  I quickly lost control of the bike and crashed to the pavement landing heavily on my left hip.  I knew it was a minor injury and quickly remounted and began riding.  I could feel the ache in my hip, but figured the best thing I could do for it was to ride.  Besides, I was almost 30 miles from home…what else could I do?

My legs began cramping shortly after, forcing me to switch to easier gears and back off my pace.  The remaining ride was more of a death march as I plowed forward into a stiff head wind.  Though it took longer than I would have liked, I arrived back home over four hours after I began and with 70 miles of riding to my credit.  The original goal of 57 had to be eclipsed to make up for the fact that I’d had to ride it a day later than the run and kayak…I was feeling guilty.  I hobbled into the house knowing my day was done.  I had no intention of trying to load a pack on my back and hike on a damaged hip.  Though it doesn’t happen often…I can use common sense on occasion as it relates to my working out.

I quickly blended a large smoothie and reminded myself that this is why I do what I do…the opportunity to enjoy and savor the time after the craziness…and that I can still do it.  The birthday’s not until Wednesday.  Maybe I’ll just do it all again then…the forecast is good.

Hike duration: 40 minutes.  Bike Duration:  4 hours and 15 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm during the bike.
Calories burned during workout:  150 hiking and 3500 biking.

No comments:

Post a Comment