Sunday, April 1, 2012

A killer workout in the woods...

Saturday, March 31, 2012
I started the workout day with time working in Mimi’s yard.  Hauling and spreading top soil and assorted other yard tasks kept me busy for three hours…but didn’t cause me to break a sweat.   Temperatures in the low 40’s could have had something to do with that, but by the time I arrived at the park for the Survival Workout, I was prepared to push myself to the edge. 

And I did.  After starting with 73 modified push-ups…7 off my record, nothing else I did was less than a pr.  In all, I performed 20 different sets of upper body lifts of all shapes and sizes and by the time I returned to the car, I was spent…but feeling that wonderful pump and burn that only accompanies working to exhaustion.  Driving home, I knew I had some chores to handle in my own yard…starting with the lawn.  I went to grab the tractor I share with my neighbor only to find it wouldn’t start.  I resigned myself to the push mower and one hour later, I was starting to feel the accumulation of the days activities.  I’d wanted to add some time on the trainer, but it just wasn’t in the cards, so I showered, lay down and was out cold for an hour.

Holly and I took in the movie ‘War Horse’ for which I’d had high hopes…and was disappointed.  I never quite connected with any of the characters…except the horse…as the humans in his life came and went and came again.  We decided on a trip to Caribou afterwards, where I was roundly criticized for ordering a diet Coke in a coffee specialty shop.  Personally…I think that stuff is way overpriced and overrated…and anyways, I kind of like diet Coke.  Besides…it’s for sale and they took my money.   I don’t know.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.  Yard work duration:  Four hours.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150 for SW and 80 for the yard work.
Calories burned:  600 for SW, 1200 for the yard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment