Sunday, April 1, 2012

Plans are good for everyone...except me.

Thursday, March 29, 2012
Good exercise plans, like any good plans, are important and should be followed.  I’ve been writing them for athletes for years and always remind them to “stick with the plan.”  They should, therefore, be important for me, as well.  So why aren’t they?  I suppose it’s like the saying that goes “any attorney representing himself has a fool for a client” applies to coaching yourself…not that I’d listen to advice from anyone else, either.

I’d run 10 minutes two days ago…the plan called for five…and I’d gotten away with it, but decided that I’d wait three days to try running 15 minutes.  My son Jason had called to say he could use some help moving, so I’d decided against doing the Survival Workout thinking the lifting and carrying of heavy boxes and furniture would suffice, but figuring a short run was in the cards.  It was a day earlier than the plan called for, but who needs to listen to a plan?

I decided on an out and back course.  I started running slowly, but the calf felt good and I picked it up.  I was doing the math in my head as I approached the supposed turnaround…let me see…half of 15 is…um…10?

Since I couldn’t decide for sure, I kept going until I reached the 10-minute mark before turning and heading back to the car.  I actually knew that if I doubled 10 it would come out to 20…which was more than 15 by a bit, but I told myself if it started to hurt, I could just stop at 15 minutes and walk the remaining distance to the car.  And that was kind of a plan…so I was still sticking to the new and improved version.

Everything turned out okay.  The calf was still intact and my logic for adjusting plans was still rock solid…at least in my own head…which, I suppose, is also rock solid.

I spent two hours lifting and lugging things into the new house Jason is going to share with three fellow rugby players…two of which were present to help with the move.  We unloaded the truck onto the driveway so we could load the stuff in the house into the truck for a move to another location.  Then we took the stuff in the driveway into the house.  I took charge in the truck, hustling back and forth and placing all the contents on the edge of the truck in an attempt to keep three people from having to climb up and to keep them busy.  It was a great workout.  They all stopped for hamburgers since they’d been at it all day while I kept moving.  After two hours, it was over…just as I was getting warmed up.  It wasn’t quite as intense as the Survival Workout, but the Survival Workout had clearly made the move easier for my body.

Moving duration:  Two hours.  Run duration: 20 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150 for move and 130 for run.
Calories burned:  1000 for moving and 300 for run.

No comments:

Post a Comment