Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Savannah discovers the beauty of biking...

Sunday, April 01, 2012
When Savannah had returned to Ohio State following Spring break, I’d encouraged her to throw her bike in the back of the Jeep.  I figured her rekindled interest in her conditioning might get her to use it.  I wasn’t wrong.  She called to say how glad she was she’d taken it. 

“I’m riding all over campus and getting to places faster than when I drive and I don’t have the hassle of finding parking or the expense of burning gas.  I’m doing the Survival Workout too and can see the difference,” she said.

And there it is.  One simple change in a routine can make a huge difference in calories burned and conditioning, particularly when it is something you can sustain and fits into your daily activities without a hitch.  Heidi, like me, has always been a biker.  It’s such a part of who we are that we’ll likely always do it.  I’m hoping Savannah finds the same joy on the bike because if she does, she will always be in shape.

I went to the park with the intention of running at least 25 minutes…but to maybe stretch it to 30 based on how I felt.  I headed down the bridle path, but decided to veer onto my favorite running trails in the hopes that they would bring me good luck and keep me injury free.

Things are amazingly dry in North Chagrin.  It’s been a warm, reasonably dry spring and the trails, normally soup for the last year, are drying out.  I don’t think it will last, but it was nice to be able to run down the middle of these narrow trails without needing waders.  Trail running takes so much more concentration with the constant need to avoid hazards that would like to trip you up and send you sprawling.  With that in mind, you can’t think of much else and the time passes so quickly.  I found myself approaching the 25-minute mark about when  I’d expect to…25 minutes…but it seemed so much quicker.  I had one slight twinge in my calf at 24 minutes, but ignored it and continued the loop until I reached the car right at 30 minutes.  I’m not prepared to say the calf is healthy and won’t until I’m again able to run 3-4 straight days, but I’m encouraged by the progress and again hoping that the birthday triathlon will include a 57-minute run instead of a 100 mile bike ride.

Thirty minutes of running is hardly enough, so I returned home and climbed on the trainer to finish watching ‘Hell on Wheels’.  I pounded out another 75 minutes while watching the German racing team fall short of its objectives and observing Lance winning again. 

Run duration: 30 minutes.  Bike duration: One hour and 15 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 130 for the run and 120 for the bike.
Calories burned:  500 for the run and 1050 for the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment