Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Planning the Taper...

Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Whenever preparing for some big or important competition, I have always tapered my workouts so that I would be properly rested and ready on the day of the competition.  Saturday should be my big day, consisting of an hour and 57 minutes of kayaking, 57 minutes of running, a 57-mile bike ride and a hike in the parks with 57 of this and 57 of that.  In all, it should keep me exercising for 7-8 hours and pretty much kick my ass.  With that in mind, I’ve been trying to lay out my workout week to get something done every day, but not risk injury or have me too pooped to participate.  Running is my biggest concern and so I decided on one more fairly long run with maybe a 30-minute effort onThursday.

I’d only had one day’s rest since the 50-minute run on Sunday.  I’d been taking two since coming back from the calf injury…but what the hell.  I planned to do 30 minutes…which meant I’d probably do 40…and that’s just what happened.  I ran pain-free and reasonably fast over a hilly, root-covered series of trails.  My legs were feeling the all-out effort of the previous day’s ride, but I ignored that and went home to jump on the trainer.

I found a movie I thought would be worth watching called ‘Last of the Dogmen’ and starring Tom Berenger.  The recap said it was set in the wilderness of the Montana Oxbow and was about a drunken scout, his dog and a lost tribe of Cheyenne Indians.  Sounded plausible.  It wasn’t though, but the scenery was beautiful…it was filmed on location in Alberta and British Columbia, Canada wilderness.  I got a kick out of the way they traveled and camped…on horseback and with a pack mule.  No tent or sleeping bag for Tom…it must never rain there so why bring the extra weight?  Anyway…it got me through 60 minutes of riding and left me feeling a little less guilty about eating the remainder of the custard dessert Holly had made for Easter. 

Run duration: 40 minutes.  Bike duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 for the run and 120 for the bike.
Calories burned:  675 for the run and 850 for the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment