Thursday, April 19, 2012

A new client...a tried and true solution

Tuesday, April 17, 2012
I met with a new client last night who described himself as “the fastest fit man you’ll meet”.  He’d been a high school and college runner and pole vaulter…sports that required low body fat and a good strength to weight ratio.  He’d been able to run a 5K in less than 16 minutes…a very respectable time with a mile pace below 5:20.  That was then…

Now his body fat was 24% (probably 5% in his competitive days).  He was training to run the half marathon in May, but I talked him out of it when he described and injury he was trying to work through in his calf.  I talked him out of it because after hearing more about his goals, which included training for two triathlons…the first coming in June…I could see that the half marathon didn’t fit with these goals.

“You needed to establish a baseline of fitness…and we’ve done that now.  Now…you have to decide what you want to do well and focus in on that,” I said.

I could see he was someone who responded to the challenge of beating himself and challenging others.  These are good things because they’re measurable.  I can draw up a specific program of training to meet his objectives…and as I told him, “you’ll never achieve them if you don’t lose the body fat.”

He agreed and liked the concept of the Paleo Diet and a return to the hard training that had made him a fast runner and good vaulter.  He needed direction and measurable objectives…like most people…and after listening to him, I was able to reduce them to paper.  We mapped out a daily training schedule including bike and track workouts and time in the pool, to make him faster.  He had specific dates to run these races, which simlified...and focused...the effort.  I have no doubt he will accomplish those goals.

I had a goal for tomorrow, as well.  I had felt bad that for the third year in a row, the weather had interfered with my ability to do the birthday triathlon all on the same day.  I’d done two hugely difficult days over the weekend…but again…they weren’t consecutive.  Tomorrow’s weather report remains favorable, so I’ve taken the day off and plan to be up early and have the kayak in the water by 7 a.m. with running and cycling to follow.  With that coming, I took the evening off.  My body is sore…but mostly from bending and trimming the weeds with hand clippers on Monday night.  The stretching that places on the hamstrings and the pain the follows for the two days after leaves me cringing every time I stand.  Tomorrow’s triathlon…on the heels of a monster weekend…should have me completely spent.  We’ll find out shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment