Tuesday, April 17, 2012

More fun driving with Jack...

Monday, April 16, 2012
My hip was still sore when I woke.  I could tell it was mending quickly though, and likely would be strong by Wednesday, should I take another shot at doing everything on the same day. 

I went to the Metropark wondering what effect the weekend’s workouts would have on my ability to do the Survival Workout.  I figured it wouldn’t matter since so much of what I’d done was lower body and the Survival Workout’s focus was on upper body muscular endurance for this day.  I started with my reverse plank push-ups and managed a new pr of 67.  If I hadn’t unhooked my feet from the rail on 67 though, I’d have done a nose plant into the dirt.  When you reach your last one, there is no trying to squeeze out another.  It’s over.

It wouldn’t be the only pr of the day…I managed 32 on my overhead log lift and climbed the pole three times quite easily.  I’m looking forward to adding a couple of new moves in the routine which will involve lower body squats and lunges, but don’t want to do them until I get past the birthday since I want to protect the calf for one more long run.

I came home and was feeling like I could easily take a ride.  I decided against it for two reasons.  First…the wind was blowing like that day it picked up Dorothy and Toto and deposited them on top of that wicked old witch who's toes curled when houses landed on her.  Second…if I should decide to take another shot at the triathlon on Wednesday, I could use the recovery time.  I was feeling great though, so I did a bunch of yard work until dark.

Jack asked me for another driving lesson and I agreed.  It was after nine, so it was dark and as he started the car in the garage and prepared to put it in reverse, I asked him if there was something he should do that might come in handy.

“Umm…open the garage door?”

“Okay…that would be really good for a couple of reasons…but it’s open already,” I said.

“Look behind me?” he offered.

“Another great idea…but not what I was thinking.”

He looked stumped and so I gave him a hint.  “Pretty dark out there…huh?”

“Oh yeah…the lights!” he said as the bulb in his brain finally blinked on.

We ended up driving down River Road where there are no overhead lights, so I got him using his brights.  He clicked them on and off a number of times to get the feel and I told him as soon as he saw a car approaching, to turn them off.

“How come?”

“Well…they’re pretty obnoxious for someone driving towards you and they make it kind of hard to see.  You also want to turn them off when you come up behind someone because the glare in their mirrors does the same thing,” I said.

He seemed to have it down, but on the third car we saw, he missed the bright switch and just turned off the lights altogether.

“Jack…this is not a good way to drive.  Lights…lights…” I said as he fumbled, putting on the wipers and the turn signal before again finding the light switch.

Every ride is some new adventure…and I kind of like it.  I suppose I’m a bit of a thrill seeker and I have a strong heart so I’m thinking I can handle whatever Jack throws at me over the next seventy some hours of driving instruction.  Time will tell.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment