Friday, May 24, 2013

Choosing a college career...

Thursday, May 23, 2013
Jack is in his final days of his high school life and like so many kids this age, is unsure what the rest of his like should look like and what he really wants to do.  I was there 40 years ago, but remember it like I was still a long-haired, know-it-all teenager.  He’s none of that.

“Dad…if I get a fitness degree like yours, what kind of high paying jobs can I get,” he asked.

“No kind of high paying jobs,” I said.

He didn’t like the answer, which I expected so I went into a lengthy explanation about the different job possibilities depending on the specialty he chose.  I concluded by saying, “if it’s big money you’re looking for then a fitness related degree may not be your best choice.  If you want to do something you’ll enjoy for the rest of your working life, stay in great shape and feel good about helping people as you go, then sure…go for it.”
We discussed that he may want to consider a business degree with a minor in fitness and health so that he’d have more options, but it’s too soon to make the final decision.  For now, I’ll be happy to see him at the Community College and taking the general courses he needs for a Bachelor’s Degree and feeling like he’s headed on a solid career path over which he takes ownership.  I still believe that if you’re the best at whatever you choose, you’ll always have plenty of good work.  “If nothing else Jack, be passionate about whatever you choose.  It’ll make it so much more interesting for you,” I concluded.

I hit the Survival Workout hard with 23 upper body stations.  I’ve finally added biceps rock curls back into the routine and climbed the swing set three times.  I have some soreness in the elbow, but it’s no worse than it was three weeks ago when I was doing neither of these exercises.  I also threw a short jog into the mix to test out the condition of the sore hip and with good results.  It was only a couple of hundred yards, but felt good enough for me to consider a run, though I’m leery of loading a pack on my back.  I’m planning a drive through southern Ohio this weekend with Holly to map out the Trans-Ohio trail for Tour Ohio from Marietta to the eastern outskirts of Cincinnati.  I need to put the course to bed soon.

Survival Workout:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment