Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Turning 'edging' into a workout...

Monday, May 6, 2013
I like finding ways to burn up some extra calories.  If you edge your lawn on a regular basis, it goes rather smoothly and can be done with little effort.  Then there’s the ‘John Rolf’ way, which says that you should do it only a couple of times a year.  My method has you pushing and fighting for every inch through dirt and sod that has overgrown the sidewalk and driveway and refuses to give in without a struggle.  It took me thirty minutes to complete the task by which time I’d achieved a heart rate near capacity, broken a heavy sweat and blistered my hands.  I followed that with cutting the lawn with the push mower instead of the tractor and if I’d done nothing else, would have had an excellent workout.  I did more, of course.

The Survival Workout was upper body only.  I’m starting to save myself for riding and the plan is to go long tomorrow without cramping.  Since I have so much training to do between now and the start of Tour Ohio, I’m planning on cutting back on the Survival Workout to once every three days except for occasional doubles.  I can easily maintain a good level of tone and overall fitness with that routine and I’ll need the extra time for riding, hiking and kayaking.

I dipped into my large salad container for both lunch and dinner.  It sure works having it ready to go and I’ll probably be able to eat another couple of days from it before having to refill.  I can feel the pounds melting away already.

Survival Workout:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment