Sunday, May 5, 2013

Getting back on the Paleo Diet...


Thursday, May 2, 2013

As I boarded the bike on tired legs, I wondered just how ugly the ride would be.  I know you can make things worse by filling your head with negative thoughts…and you can do the opposite with positive thinking.  I was stuck in negative, though.

I was a little low on time and elected to take a shortened version of the course I’d ridden the day before.  It would be a simple out and back with the halfway point at the top of a two-mile climb.   Tough going out…fun coming back.

I reached the turnaround feeling sluggish, which usually means the second half will be even worse, but not so today.  As often happens for me, I quickly regain my conditioning because I haven’t let myself get that far out of shape.  I began to feel stronger as I finished the ride and was encouraged once again.

I also knew I needed to take drastic action regarding my diet.  I’ve let the Paleo get away from me and decided it was time to quit fooling around.  I know how well it works for me, but I also know how lazy I can get.  I had picked up a large bag of spinach and another of mixed vegetables; broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.  I dumped them both in a very large Tupperware bowl, added some mushrooms and almonds and tossed it in the refrigerator.  Now when I get hungry, I’ll grab a couple of handfuls, put it in a bowl, add some salad dressing and I’ll be good to go.  Along with my smoothies, it was this kind of advanced planning that helped me lose all the weight when I first tried the Paleo Diet.  I also had the discipline then NOT to eat anything with sugar.  I’ll give that a go soon.

Bike duration:  One hour and 45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  1475.

No comments:

Post a Comment