Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Excitement in the North Country...

Sunday, May 12, 2013

It was Mother’s Day and everything should be about the important moms in your life.  I still have a wonderful one I live with and so I was going about trying to help make it a special day.  One of the ways I can accomplish this is to get out of her way and go for a bike ride…which I was fully prepared to do despite the cold until it started hailing again.

Look…I know this is Northeast Ohio and basically anything can happen weather-wise, but this is getting out of control.  It’s May for God’s sake and we need a little more normalcy for the season.  Bitch, bitch, bitch…

So I stayed home instead and tried to make things nice for Holly.  I did receive a posting from my sister alerting me to the man hunt in the North Country and more specifically, in Massena, NY…and even more specifically, in my cousin Donnie’s back yard.

“What in hell’s going on up there?” I asked when I called him.

“Well…the guy was doing 81mph in a 55 and when they pulled him over and found he had a suspended license, they tried to cuff him.  He didn’t think that was such a good idea since he was carrying drugs and a 17-count rap sheet, so he broke for the pines,” Donnie told me.

The ‘pines’ are the woods on his and the family property where we hike, hunt, ride ATV’s and played as kids.  They back up to his mom’s house and run down to the Grasse River where we kayak and fish.  It’s wonderful property and offers many hiding places for childhood play…and fugitives with violent raps on their sheet.

“We don’t lack for law enforcement up here.  They had the cops, border patrol (Canada is spitting distance), park rangers, and, well, you name it.  They landed a helicopter in Ma’s backyard, too,” he said.

“It’s too dangerous up there, Donnie.  I think I’ll need to take a rain check on that graduation party unless you can assure me of heightened security,” I said. 

Then I remembered who I was talking to.  He’s got guns.  He’s got dogs.  I suppose I’ll be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment