Friday, May 31, 2013

Racing buggies in Amish country...

Monday, May 27, 2013
Sometimes you just have one of those training days where you feel like you could ride forever and never get tired.  I had one on Memorial Day.

I left the house around 10 a.m. to partially sunny skies and temperatures in the low 50’s…maybe colder.  I was chilled at first, but quickly warmed as I pedaled.  I’d decided that I’d ride out into Amish country before turning back and heading to Dan’s to pick up the car.  Initially I’d been thinking forty miles, but as I got further into the ride feeling great, I decided to stretch it some.  I rode out to Middlefield and passed a couple of buggies full of Amish families before coming up against one that didn’t like being passed.  It was pulled by a fine looking horse, sleek and muscular, like a thoroughbred.  I went around it, but could hear the tempo of the hooves pick up as I pulled in front of it.  I don’t know if it was the driver or the horse that wanted to race, but I wasn’t in the mood.  I put the hammer down and pulled away far enough to know they’d given up the chase.  I was winded from the effort, but felt good with the interval workout it had provided.

I arrived at Dan’s after three hours of riding feeling strong and thinking I could easily ride another 20-30 miles.  It was the strongest ride I’d had all season and left me feeling that my cycling legs were finally returning.  When I returned home for another cookout, I treated myself to two more burgers and a chocolate shake.  Three hours of riding makes me feel like I deserve a reward.

Bike duration:  Three hours.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  2850.

No comments:

Post a Comment