Sunday, May 5, 2013

Planning Tour Ohio with Nancy from the Cleveland Metroparks...


Friday, May 3, 2013

After speaking with Cleveland Metroparks CEO, Brian Zimmerman, at the Tribe’s home opener about Tour Ohio, I’d sent him off an email about the Tour and telling him I’d like to do a story about him for OhioActive.  He’d lined me up with Nancy Desmond, Director of Special Projects (I’m often considered a ‘special project) and cycling advocate.  We’d exchanged some emails and had agreed to meet at the Zoo, the home of the administrative offices for the Metroparks. 

As were walking towards the picnic table area to chat, she spotted Brian coming from the parking lot.  We stopped to chat.

“We should have been at last night’s game when they hit seven home runs,” I commented, referring to the Indians latest victory.

We talked baseball for a couple of minutes while Nancy’s eyes…and mind…drifted.  When Brian walked away, I asked her about baseball.

“That’s a game where they do something with a ball…I think,” she said in a decided South Boston accent.

“You’re a ‘Southy’ and you don’t love the Sox?” I asked incredulously.

“Umm…well…just never got interested in them,” she said.

I turned to leave.  How could I possibly work with a woman who’d lived so close to Fenway Park but wasn’t part of Red Sox Nation?  It was unthinkable.  I stopped though, thinking that, as part of my mission to fight obesity and try to bring the good news of Ohio’s amazing outdoor recreational opportunities, I could also dedicate myself to saving this lost soul.  Maybe…just maybe…I could revel her with my love of baseball to the point where she’d grow to appreciate the greatest game ever made.  Maybe.

I gave her a thumbnail sketch of Tour Ohio with special emphasis on the cycling leg.
“My goal is to model what I’d like to call the ‘Trans-Ohio Trail’ after the Trans-America Trail and get communities along the way to agree to let cyclists use municipal property to pitch a tent and be able to use a pool or shower facility, if they exist.  The payback is that these cyclists will become tourist dollars to the town and once the trail is established, different marketing pieces and sites will direct attention to their communities,” I explained.

Either she was a good bullshitter (I’m such a master that I kind of have a built-in bullshit radar and it wasn’t going off) or she really liked my idea and was more than anxious to become an advocate.

“I’m pretty sure I can help you with communities along the trail and with getting campsites established in the Metroparks…we’re working on that already…and finding more sites on the Ohio-Erie Canal path for the hiking portion,” she said.

This really had me jazzed.  I knew the importance of having a highly respected entity like the Cleveland Metroparks supporting the concept because of the doors that could open.  It would certainly raise my credibility and was a giant step closer to making my vision a reality.
 “You’ve been riding your whole life and never been on a mountain bike?” she said with an incredulity that matched my shock regarding her baseball shortcomings.  “Well…you’ll be my guest and I’ll get you a bike,” she promised, inviting me to do some riding on the Metroparks new 10-mile mountain trail in the Mill Stream Reservation in Strongsville. 
.
I got a similar commitment from her to try the Survival Workout.  It’s always a great day when you meet someone with the kind of passion you have for a similar interest.  Thanks for your help, Nancy.  I’m looking forward to a fruitful, long-lasting friendship.

Survival Workout:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment