Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Quite a storm...

Friday, May 10, 2013

I went to the park to do a Survival Workout with the intention of following it with a bike ride before heading to the Mayfield track where I would be serving as Clerk of Courts for the Invitational being run there.  All these things were being threatened by an ominous forecast that warned of severe thunderstorms.  It wouldn’t dare…

I managed 20 upper body sets and was feeling quite exhausted as I headed for home and a quick salad before riding the bike.  The skies were grey…but that’s really the norm here, so I continued thinking I’d be riding.  As I ate the salad, I heard a banging coming from the kitchen skylight.  When I looked out the window, I was glad I’d stopped to eat before getting on the bike because the hailstones that were pelting the pavement were the size of quarters.  They continued falling on and off over the next 20 minutes, so I bagged the ride and began to wonder if there would be a meet after all.  I went to the track at the designated time only to find that it had already been delayed an hour (lightning and thunder sightings).  Fortunately, there were plenty of runners with whom I could chat over the next couple of hours as we waited for a final decision.  Reza appeared and since he’s been in the Adirondacks numerous times since I first introduced him to the mountains, we discussed and I pined for a return trip.  I should get in some hiking up there when I go for a graduation party at cousin Donnie’s place in June.

Survival Workout:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment