Wednesday, December 16, 2015

95!

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

I’d made another rice concoction on Sunday which included scrambled eggs, sautéed onions, mushrooms and spinach, fresh garlic, corn and a pound of ground meat.  I ate that for lunch and was surprised when my stomach just wouldn’t settle later.  I left work headed to meet Holly so we could do some Christmas shopping for the kids. 

Walking around stores looking for presents, holding hands with his wife Vicki, is something my cousin Donnie loves to do and, in fact, uses a whole day off so that he can maximize the experience.  He likes to go back to work and tell the construction crew he works with how he’s spent his time and is surprised they don’t do it, as well.  Not me so much.  In fact if he continues in this vein, I may have to revoke his Man Card.  Sorry, Donnie.  Consider yourself warned.

We were heading to dinner after shopping to celebrate Holly’s dads’ 95th birthday with the kids.  We were meeting at Petti’s Pizza and I was mentally debating whether I’d have pizza.  When we arrived there and after walking past a number of tables with that delicious smelling food, I bent – but did not break.

“I’ll have the Caesar’s salad with the chicken,” I choked out after the pepperoni and sausage pizza with milkshakes had been ordered around the table.  “And just give me a glass of water,” I concluded; final nail in the coffin.

And then there was leftover pizza, which I simply admired but did not touch.  My stomach was grumbling by now and I elected to go home and head to bed rather than go back to grandpa’s house for dessert.  I hated to do it – he’s such a wonderful guy, but I was in no shape to be good company.  It had been a very active day though I still had guilt over not doing a workout.  Well…he looks great at 95 and never really worked out.  There’s some consolation in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment