Tuesday, December 29, 2015

A very merry Christmas to all...

Friday, December 25, 2015

And so this is Christmas
And what have we done
Another year over
A new one just begun…

 Gone are the days of staying up into the wee hours of the morning getting presents from Santa out and ready for a Christmas morning celebration with four young children.  Though I miss those times, I enjoy sleeping normally, too.
As I always seem to do, I was up and moving by 7 a.m. even though I had sworn I would sleep in.  Ah well…
I texted Savannah knowing, like me, she never sleeps late and might like to join me in the park for a Christmas morning hike with the dogs.  I wanted to keep the exercise portion of my exercise blog going and since I was on a pretty good roll for the month of December, figured Christmas Day should be no exception.  She was up and agreed to meet with her spastic dog, Copper.
We hiked for an hour, but since the family was due by 10:30, had to hurry home for final preparations.
“I have to go home and take a quick shower,” she said as we hustled across the Rugby field towards our cars.
“I showered a couple of days ago, I think, so I’m okay,” I said. She looked at me like I wasn’t funny…which we both know I am.
As we have always done, presents were opened slowly, one at a time, and with seven people in the room and multiple gifts from each to all of the others, this process took over two hours.  I get no greater joy than to give except maybe for seeing how much my own children seem to enjoy doing the same.  If I have done nothing else right in my life, this one thing is good. 
We had a dinner that included chicken stew, something I’m avoiding, and a special ten-pound turkey, made particularly for Jack, and me since it is our favorite meal.  I stuck to the turkey and again ignored desserts.  Okay…maybe I did have a small piece of banana cream pie.
And so…this IS Christmas and a new year is around the corner.  I know what I have started to do, at least, but realize how much more is to be done on my new life’s journey.  It will be a good one.
Hike duration:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  90 bpm.

Calories burned during workout:  350.

No comments:

Post a Comment