Friday, December 11, 2015

"Oh...not hungry? How about some..."

Wednesday, December 9, 2015
At some point, you just have to stop procrastinating and do some Christmas shopping.  Yet it’s still like a couple of weeks away and so really…what’s the rush? 

I went to Half Price Books to try and locate a couple of old movies I wanted as gifts.  They didn’t have them so I drove to Willoughby and went to ‘The Exchange’, which, after searching myself and using two different clerks, was able to locate.  There.  I’m done.  I wish.

I stopped at my father-in-law’s place on the way home.  He’s 95 and still making dinners twice a week for his grandchildren.  Wednesday is Jason’s night and he was there with Theresa and they were eating lots of good stuff, none of which I could eat on my current diet.  Besides, I’d already eaten my chili dinner and washed it down with a smoothie while visiting with John before shopping.  That didn’t stop my dad.

“You want something to eat?” he asked.

“Thanks, but nope.  My diet doesn’t allow this food and I ate already,” I said.

Now…he heard me, but never processes the meaning of ‘no’ as it relates to eating in his house.  “How about some home-made bread and butter?”

“Dad…no disrespect…but just because you made it doesn’t make it ‘gluten free’ and butter is dairy no matter where I get it.  Besides…what part of ‘I’m full – I had dinner an hour ago’ didn’t you understand?”

We banter like this every time.  He only smiled like I’m the class idiot as he tried to pass me dessert and said, “how about a cream puff?”

I drove home, changed and mounted the bike.  Jason had given me the old Kirk Douglas movie ‘Paths of Glory’, which I loaded and watched as I pedaled.  Though my heart rate was high, the ride seemed too easy.  I reached an hour and quit only from boredom…something that never happens when riding outdoors.  If the days were only longer, I’d be doing these rides there right now.  The temperature continues to hit the low fifties each day and would be ideal riding weather.  No snow though, and that works for me.

Bike duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 135 bpm.
Calories Burned: 850

No comments:

Post a Comment