Tuesday, December 29, 2015

The love of a dog...

Saturday, December 26, 2015
As I had been doing throughout the holidays even though I was off, drove to the farm to push up my ever growing manure pile.  The semi tractor trailer and operator who normally empties our pit is an independent cuss who does not think it necessary to return a phone call or come on times previously scheduled to do what he is contracted to do.  He may have a legitimate reason for not coming, but I have no way of knowing because he refuses to communicate.  He has been doing this work for the farm for many years and so is grandfathered in.  I have him categorized under ‘pain in the ass’ so I know how to find his number easily.
I was lifting a load of horse shit high in the air with my bucket when, out of the corner of my eye (do round eyes have corners really?) I noticed a human being.  I pooped my pants and then yelled, “ you scared the shit out of me and made me poop my pants!”
“I’m so sorry…I tried to get your attention, but you’re so focused on your bucket of horse poop,” Jinene said.
She is the Barn Manager and totally serious about horses and what she does.  As I am, of course.
“Could you help me fix the electric fence and then look at a wheel on the feed cart before you go?  I know you’re off, but I’d sure appreciate it,” she said.
“Well…sure…right after I change my diaper,” I said.
I helped her, of course, and then headed for the park and a Survival Workout.  Anyone reading regularly (most of the literate world) knows that I have struggled to get these workouts in.  And when I do get to them, my body reminds me that I have been irregular by not performing as many repetitions as I would like it to.  In any event, I pushed hard knowing I’d have that wonderful out-of-shape soreness the following day. 
As I was hiking, a dear friend of mine texted to tell me her dog of twelve years had died.  I have been down this path several times over the years and tears formed in my eyes and my heart ached as I thought of the special dogs from my past, the unconditional love and joy they had given me, and the anguish I knew she was feeling at that moment.  There is little to say to someone in these moments, so you listen and let them know you care.  In time you heal and in a little more time you find another pup to raise and to love because it is such a wonderful deal filled almost entirely with upsides and few downs.

Survival Workout:  60 minutes
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm.

Calories burned:  600

No comments:

Post a Comment