Wednesday, December 16, 2015

A day off...

Monday, December 14, 2015
I had some comp time to use before the end of the year and so I had taken the day off.  Now…I had been to Kleifelds the morning before, but somehow it seemed wrong not to start an off-day with a visit there.  I contacted my sister and told her I’d be there early.

Since the pancakes had not agreed with me the day before, I went back to my vegetable omelet.  We ate and talked for an hour and then I told her I was headed for the farm.

“But I thought you were off?” she said.

“I am.  But if I’m not there to push that manure pile, no one’s going to and it’ll be all over the parking lot when I get there tomorrow.  Besides, I want to see how the tractor is running and I kinda like going there knowing I can leave anytime I want to,” I said.

I pushed the pile and the tractor again started to overheat.  That told me what I’d be doing the next day – a radiator flush and maybe replacing a thermostat.  I spent an hour tinkering around and talking to Mitch before heading on a mission of mercy to Mimi’s.

“I was in the family room and heard a ‘snap’ and figured we’d gotten one.  I didn’t want to look at the other right away,” she had told me a day earlier.

In fact, she’d nailed two little mice in our traps and had deposited trap and mice in the garbage…something I could not abide. 

“I hate throwing away perfectly good traps,” I told her and stopped over to rescue and reset them.

I pulled them from the garbage, said a few words over the corpses, and reloaded, having Mimi do one herself.  After almost snapping her own fingers, she kind of had it right.

Christmas shopping followed, which entailed a lot of walking and then home where I began cataloging all the pictures I had taken since last April on my external hard drive.  I needed a break at some point, and chose to spend some time on the trainer since it was raining outside.

I made pork chops for dinner, which I shared with Savannah during which time I was reminded that I would have Copper as a house guest over the weekend.  “I’ve got to work on Saturday and Sunday putting a new drain line in at the farm,” I said, but she assured me that my neighbor would be over to take Copper out and help entertain her.  I need assistance with that moose of an animal.

Bike duration: 45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 135 bpm.
Calories Burned: 640

No comments:

Post a Comment