Friday, December 4, 2015

Ch, ch, ch, changes...

Tuesday, December 1, 2015
The first day of December and still no snow on the horizon.  I do like the cold and the white stuff – to a point.  I like it through the holidays and when I don’t have to work in it.  I like the challenge of doing the Survival Workout in the snow and cold.  It makes me feel tough and manly.  Just a hike through deep snow (I really should get some snowshoes) puts me in my training heart rate zone and makes a hard ride or running unnecessary.  I also need to do some training under such adverse conditions for the day I will be walking the Continental Divide through the Rockies with an ice axe, crampons, and a pack on my back.  Oh happy day!

It was an easier day at the farm, one in which I used my head more than my back.  I’m trying to find a suitable replacement for our John Deere gator, which after 15 years, has taken a dive.  There have been many improvements in these all-terrain, work vehicles during that time and the price tag is there to prove it.  I’m looking at over 11K, unless I jump on a used John Deere I found.  I’m a John Deere kind of guy – ‘solid, steady, still John Deere’ and ‘nothing runs like a Deere’ are slogans I take to heart.  We’ll see how it shakes out, but a large donation is the key at the farm to this kind of purchase.

I put in a shorter ride on the trainer and followed it with a simple dinner of my rice dish with eggs, turkey, spinach, onions and mushrooms mixed in.  I picked up a gallon of Almond Breeze to drink in place of my skim milk – and it’s damned good.  I can see my non-dairy move as becoming something more permanent to a degree.  As much as I love ice cream, I love trimming weight even more.  There are some simple pleasures I can live without.

Bike duration: 30 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 135 bpm.
Calories Burned: 425

No comments:

Post a Comment