Friday, February 3, 2012

Dealing with some back pain...

Thursday, February 02, 2012
With my back hurting and my legs feeling heavy, I started my run.  I suppose I was happy I was even there.  I’d been strongly considering just blowing it off…I was that tired.  I suppose the doubles and long rides of the last few days were taking their toll and the injuries were nagging and piling on each other.  So…I took it slow.

The trails were again snow and ice free and the mud was manageable.  I ran past one open field and was treated to the largest herd of deer I’ve ever seen…seventeen.  I understand the culling is scheduled for this month, so I suppose that herd will be thinned.

I made my way along the trail towards Squires Castle where I headed up the hill behind the castle.  It’s steep and slippery and it was there that I discovered just how tired I was…and only half way through the run.  But I had my heavy breathing to keep me company and the occasional calls of Barred Owls.  After 30 minutes of running, I started to struggle to remain upright.  The soreness in my lower back was manifesting itself every time my right foot struck the hard-packed trail.  The final 15 minutes back to the car became a death march, yet even as I approached the car my brain was calculating how far past it I would have to run before turning around so I could push my total minutes to 50 instead of 45…it’s a sickness.

I finished with 46 minutes, a good sweat, and some not so good pain.  I know I can work my way through it without making it worse…I kind of know my body after so many years of these kinds of aches…but a week off with a daily massage would really be nice.

Run Duration:  46 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 750.

No comments:

Post a Comment