Saturday, February 18, 2012

One sloppy Survival Workout

 

Wednesday, February 15, 2012
Log Lift:  Done with a saturated, heavy log (what other kind is there in the woods?)  Works the core, back and arms as it's brought from the ground to the shoulder.  Becomes an overhead press from this position.  I alternate from left to right shoulder as I lift, doing as many reps as I can to exhaustion.  I lower it slowly to the ground to complete the set.  Primarily shoulders.

I arrived at the park for the Survival Workout aware that the trails, covered in snow 24 hours earlier, were likely to be sloppy from a day of temperatures in the 40’s.  I was right…but I went with running shoes instead of boots so I could get in a little running. 
I started with push-ups, but was disappointed when I began to struggle in the 80’s and managed only 90.  I lifted my log and did a set of dips before hitting the trail with a set of 60 high skips.  I know I’ve described many of these movements over the past year, but since I’ve got some great action pictures, I’ve decided to include a picture with each Survival Workout over the next month so that those interested can incorporate some similar moves into their routines.
I’m really willing to work out in just about any condition, but the thing I like the least is melting, slushy ice and snow.  I moved along the trail carefully to keep from slipping on the ice, but could do nothing to avoid the slush and keep my feet dry…or warm.  I had on my waterproof gloves for handling cold rocks, but couldn’t seem to keep a grip, so I took them off.  That was a mistake.  When I grabbed the rocks to lift, I covered them in icy mud.  I managed to hit my limit with the lift, but had trouble breaking my fingers free from the rock at the conclusion…kind of like the kid and the tongue on the flag pole in ‘A Christmas Story’.   I pulled the gloves back on, but the damage was done and they remained numb for the remainder of the workout.
My second set of push-ups was only 70 and when I went to the log press, it was so saturated with water that it felt about 50% heavier and I lifted it fewer times.  I was starting to get bummed.  I moved to the swing set pole, took off my gloves (some people never learn), spit on my hands and began to climb.  By the time I returned to the ground, I’d left some skin on the pole and don’t know where the feeling in my fingers went…but it wasn’t in my fingers.  I ran across an open field back towards Clear Creek, kicking up a splash with each step while soaking my shoes to their saturation point. 
I made my way back to the car soaked, cold and disappointed in my efforts.  I dropped to do my last set of push-ups…after debating in my head whether I’d bother or not…and managed a respectable 80.  I added 8 pull-ups on a branch nearby and felt some satisfaction as I re-entered the car.  It had just been one of those days when I wasn’t in it heart and soul and my performance mirrored that mental state.  It happens…but the measure of the dedication is fighting through it and performing anyway.  Well…I guess I’m still dedicated.
Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment