Sunday, February 5, 2012

A gentle hike...

Friday, February 03, 2012
I had exercise options.  It was a beautiful evening; perfect for biking or running and I was due for a Survival Workout, too.  Then I remembered Heidi was home and that maybe I would do better to take it easy, go for a hike if she was willing to join me and let my aching back take a day off.  She agreed to go along as did Dakota, so I grabbed my camera and headed for the park.

We made our way to the marsh by hiking off-trail and when we reached the ridge overlooking the marsh, I noticed a Great Blue Herron wading near the beaver lodge…a perfect picture.  As I raised the camera to my eye while turning it on, I noticed that it felt a little light.  It was…I’d left the battery in the case back in the car.  I’d have to take in the beauty of the sunset over the marsh in my mind’s eye.

I was wearing my heavy boots and broke a sweat as we hiked back out of the marsh towards the car.  Two Barred Owls were calling each other ‘who cooks for you…who cooks for you all’ and when Heidi answered their call, she drew one of them in.  We never spotted either of them, but enjoyed hearing them call.  We made our way back to the car having done an hour of hiking, stimulating the heart rate and not really taxing any of the pains I’ve been nursing.

Hike Duration:  65 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 80 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 300.

No comments:

Post a Comment