Friday, February 24, 2012

Winter blues continue...

Thursday, February 23, 2012

I’ve been fighting a terrible case of the winter doldrums.  I’m preparing my next article for ‘Ohio Sports and Fitness’ which I will call ‘Good Pain, Bad Pain’ and attempt to identify the differences between when you should train through a hurt and when you should visit a doctor.  For instance…I’ve been struggling with a pain just below my right elbow for about six months, which is inflamed by biceps curls and climbing swing set posts, among other things.  It’s ‘bad pain’ because it doesn’t go away once I warm it up and has been around about 5 months and 27 days longer than I should have waited before visiting the doctor.  I don’t go because I seldom follow my own advice, and I can live with it.  If I take a little time off, it gets better and it doesn’t interfere with any activity that I consider really important.  I also haven’t done any of the things I could do to improve it…like ice and compression…but that’s me – lazy and dumb.

Anyway…I had a point…and just remembered what it was.  I’m writing this article to help the half and full marathoners identify and treat their ailments for their May run.  The events I tend to prepare for happen at the end of the summer and thus, I lose focus.  My last two workouts almost didn’t happen.  In fact, both were going to be something different than they were and only that nagging voice in my head that always says ‘you have to work out so you won’t be writing that you wussed out instead’ got me to do something.  But my heart just wasn’t in it.

All I’m saying is…everyone goes through it.  The trick of course is to never let it make you feel like you’ve blown it and quit.  They’re just those speed bump things in parking lots that keep you from driving appropriately fast…you deal with them and get back to speeding…or something like that.

I did the Survival Workout, but on my second set of push-ups, got to 65 and literally hit the wall…or the ground.   I just couldn’t do more…and didn’t care.  I finished the workout without flash or determination, but I did finish.  My low back was sore afterwards…’not so good pain’…and I’m hoping it stays where it is…about a ‘4’ on a 1 to 10 scale of pain where 10 is a hospital bed.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment