Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"The YMCA has treadmills with computer games!"

Tuesday, February 14, 2012
Holly had an interesting Facebook status today.  It read “I have finally found a piece of exercise equipment that I like…maybe even LOVE.  A treadmill with GAMES!  It has Sudoku, Solitaire and some kind of match game.”  She’d been at the Willoughby YMCA using the great Christmas present I’d gotten her. She came home beaming with this news…and the fact that she’d gone 42 minutes on the treadmill without noticing.  “My arm’s a little sore though…probably from reaching and pushing the buttons to play solitaire,” she said.

Well…I guess the ‘Y’ is like a box of chocolates…you just don’t know what you’re going to get.  I had no idea that treadmills now came with these types of amenities, though I’m not surprised.  I can’t think of anything more boring than walking or running on one since no level of bad weather would keep me from being outside.  And if I had to be on one, it would be the only way to get through it.  Additionally, Holly is now excited about returning for her next workout…something I’ve never witnessed in 36 years of marriage.

While she was playing solitaire and using her high tech treadmill, I was locked into another ride on the trainer.  I was limited in time because we needed to be at the neighbors for a chocolate fondue party.  I’d wasted some of my workout time driving to the park only to find it was again closed for deer culling.  I considered parking nearby and sneaking in to do the workout anyway since I know where they’re shooting and don’t really resemble a whitetail, but decided that would be foolish…even for me.  I managed 45 minutes of riding…the calories I would consume when I dunked the first item into the melted chocolate later that evening.

Bike Duration:  45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 625.

No comments:

Post a Comment