Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Reza checks his baseline...

Sunday, February 19, 2012
Reza is one of the elite distance runners in Northeast Ohio and someone I’ve been helping achieve his running-related goals since high school.  He contacted me the other day because he wanted some updated baseline information on his level of conditioning and stopped over for a fitness evaluation.  I pulled out a high school body fat assessment from 2007 and found that he weighed 138 pounds…he’s twenty pounds heavier now and a perfect example of how the scale does not tell the story.  I put the calipers on him and found that his body fat had increased slightly…a little over 1%...or the equivalent of 3 pounds.  The rest of the weight gain could only be attributed to muscle gain (unlikely in Reza) or just the maturing and growth of the body which occurs naturally between ages 18 and 23.  His running pr’s have improved dramatically since his high school years when he was a multiple state qualifier, so clearly the weight gain was not negatively affecting performance.   Like any good competitive athlete, he continues to search for an edge and understands the value of knowing exactly where he is in determining where he wants to go.

Dakota and I did a morning hike off-trail as we began our early season search for deer antlers.  Heidi says she can do something artistic with them, so I’m determined to find a few.  I returned home to the bike trainer and another long ride.  I’m getting sore from this riding…in the butt and shoulders…because indoor riding allows no opportunities to get out of the saddle and climb hills.  I try to change my position by sitting up straight and riding ‘no hands’ but it isn’t the same.  The forecast is good though, and I may be outside later this week.

Just for a little something different for Sunday family dinner, we decided to visit Jet’s Pizza again.  I mean…this stuff is really good…and really fattening.  The rest of the family washed theirs down with a chocolate milkshake, which I took a pass on.  The pizza left me with that salty, ‘I’ve got to have something sweet’ taste though, and it wasn’t too long before I’d caved and dished up a bowl of ice cream…once again demonstrating that I’m worthless and weak.  I’m still wearing the pants with the smaller waist, but they are getting a little snugger.  I can’t wait for Spring and a return to long, long rides.

Hike duration: 45 minutes.  Bike duration: 90 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 80 hiking and 120 for the bike.
Calories burned:  200 hiking, 1250 for the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment