Tuesday, February 28, 2012

More madness at Chardon High School...

Monday, February 27, 2012
It can happen anywhere…at any time.  You say ‘goodbye’ in the morning or whenever you part with someone you love and you just assume you’ll see them again whenever it is you’re supposed to see them.  Maybe it’s just that they’re heading off to school…so you don’t hug your teenaged son as he exits the car…in fact you don’t really even look at him since you’re busy fiddling with the radio and he’s in a hurry to make it to homeroom on time.

And then Chardon High School happens…again…and two kids will never come home.  Lightning strikes somewhere every day so I have to remind myself to pay attention to the ones I love.   I was writing yesterday’s blog last night when Jack joined me and wanted to just jabber about things like “who do you think would win a fight…Spiderman or Hulk Hogan?”  I brushed him off because he should have known without asking that Spiderman would kick Hogan’s ass…but mostly because I had what I thought was this really important thing to do and no time to talk to him.  Wake up, John.

I managed a decent Survival Workout, hitting high numbers on all my lifts and sets…except push-ups…again.  I’m slipping in my bench mark exercise…now struggling to get in the 90’s.  I’ve also had the low back pain from the previous day slip down into the right buttocks muscle, which has made running out of the question and walking painful…so no sprints, hops or jumps.

After completing the workout, I went to the Achilles Running Store to check out the core class being offered.  I met with their trainer, Rosalie Franek, and got the details.  She’s an excellent coach with a degree in Exercise Physiology and has helped many runners over the years strengthen their core and legs and improve flexibility.  Her class begins with a 20-25 minute warm-up jog on the streets around the store after which she spends 45 minutes doing stretching, core strength routines and overall body strengthening using bands and body weight.  Each class is only $5…quite a bargain for professional guidance in this critical area.

I passed on the chance to take part in the run or the class…I’d had enough fun for one evening…and went home to make another good Paleo meal.  I’m trying to gear up for the coming summer months when I intend to get in the best shape of my life and drop the weight back into the mid-170’s…and maybe lower.  I know I want to get up to the Adirondacks again this summer and climb some of the more difficult peaks.  I know I’ll need to be in peak form because I’m going to want to do multiple peaks on consecutive days…something that beats me up if I’m not ready.  This may also be the summer to cross Lake Erie in a kayak…amongst other things.  When the time comes, I want to be ready.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment