Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sometimes you just gotta be a little lucky...

Sunday, February 05, 2012
When two teams are pretty evenly matched, sometimes it’s important to be lucky.  I told Jack before the Super Bowl that the Giants were going to win because they were good…and lucky…which made them a team of destiny.  It helped them win the Super Bowl against the undefeated Patriots in 2007 and I believed it would come through for them again.  It did.  The Patriots started the game by giving away two points on the first play and when opportunity knocked…two Giant fumbles…both times the ball bounced their way and they recovered both fumbles.  That’s just plan lucky…and a game breaker. 

We’d eaten a heavy, gravy and fat laden dinner around 1 p.m. and that left me with a lead feeling in my gut and time to ride long on a cool, but sunny February afternoon.  I put on the proper amount of layers and headed out for my Gates Mills course with a plan to add a little extra and make it a two-hour ride.

This is simply the winter from bike rider’s heaven…when you consider we live in the snow belt of Northeast Ohio.  Last year we approached…or broke…the snowfall record and this year…well…I should shut up about it.  The first hour of the ride was solid and pain-free, but the cold began creeping through the booties, two pairs of socks and riding shoes as I approached 90 minutes.  I put the finishing touches on my toes and fingers as I approached 50 mph on my descent of Fairmount Blvd. on the ride home.  I’ve also been spending considerable time at my computer lately, editing pictures of slides I’m converting to a digital format, and my shoulders and neck were extremely tight over the final twenty minutes of the ride.  Once home though, it was all worth it.  I’d managed more than two hours in the saddle and ridden hard and fast.  I have a one-hour pr on the Pekin Road course I’d taken, and matched it on this ride…something I wouldn’t normally be able to do in the middle of the winter…and without really trying.  This is another confirmation of the conditioning I’ve received from all the time on the trainer…thank you very much.

Tomorrow is a Survival Workout day, but if the forecast is right and it stays warmer and sunny, I’m thinking I’ll take advantage of the opportunity and hit the road again.

Bike Duration:  2 hour 10 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 1800.

No comments:

Post a Comment