Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Obese child allowed to return to his mom...

Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Last November, I wrote a story about a 218-pound, 8-year old, third grade boy who was taken from his mother by the County because of the impending health problems his weight posed for him.  It got a ton of media attention across the country as people from all walks of life asked the question “was government going a little too far?”  He was suffering from sleep apnea at the time, but had no other health issues.  He was an honor student and seemed to be well-adjusted, but Child and Family Services thought they needed to insert themselves and the courts backed them up.  The child first went to a foster home, but such a ruckus was raised in the media that the court awarded the child to an Uncle in Columbus, instead.

Now, four months later, he’s lost 50 pounds and his uncle says he now has a better understanding of portion control and sensible eating.  It was reported that he was told he wouldn’t be able to see his mom again until he lost a lot of weight.  Maybe stress and separation anxiety was part of the weight loss. 

Yes…you know how much I believe in activity and sensible nutrition and I feel so much of the problems of childhood obesity are things parents are best able to deal with.  Clearly this young man’s mom didn’t have the answers…but wow…county government deciding when to take kids out of their homes?  Anyway…he’s home again, but his mom is already saying she hopes someone steps in to help her since his father is not in the picture.  Someone like ‘Big Brother’ who might take her son to the gym and work him out.  I’ve been in and out of gyms my entire life, and I’ve yet to see a third grader working out.  I’m wondering if he knows how to play?  That’s all we did when I was growing up…that and having apples as our only available snack and a drinking fountain on the back of the house to wash it down…and we were all slim. 

That pain in my right buttocks was bothering me all day…but I had a plan to fix it.  I went to the park and slipped on my running gear and headed slowly down the trail.  Good pain or bad pain…I was about to find out.  After five minutes of running, the ache dissipated and for the next 45 things went well.  I knew I’d stiffen up quickly though, so I drove home and hopped on the trainer for a one-hour ride.  After my shower things started to tighten up and shortly after, I was in bed laying on an ice pack and down for the night.  Okay…I never said it was a good plan.

Run duration: 50 minutes.  Bike duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 running and 120 for the bike.
Calories burned:  850 running, 850 for the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment