Thursday, February 23, 2012

Finding the outdoor activity that fits...

Wednesday, February 22, 2012
I noticed two separate, conflicting articles in the PD this morning.  One was a story about a weight loss pill getting approval and the other a story about a father teaching his two sons an appreciation of nature…through birding.

I say conflicting because, without getting into the whole ‘take a pill for weight’ thing, I’ve always lean towards activity for healthier, more productive living and weight control.  All of my four kids are lean and in pretty good shape and I suppose I can take some of the credit for that.  From an early age, I encouraged activity…sports and outdoor exploration.  I tried to include them in the things I enjoyed and kept me fit both because I wanted them to have active lives that would keep them off the sidelines their entire lives and because I wanted them to be with me when I did things.  I started them early hiking and camping, hoping the back country would entice them…and it worked on two out of four.  The other two participate in sports and train to stay fit while eating healthier than many of their peers.  So when I saw the article about this man taking his family birding, I saw a little of myself and using outdoor fun forming a lifetime of fitness.  It’s a great lesson and one I hope I’ve instilled in my kids.  If you like doing it…you’ll keep doing it for the rest of your life.

I rode 90 minutes on the trainer and watched another documentary on Everest.  This one told the story of Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay, the first two men to summit in 1953 and their sons who would summit together…exactly 50 years later.  The travails of Hillary and Norgay were extremely inspirational and awe-inspiring when the difficulties of their ascent are compared to what the climbers of today experience.

I baked a couple of chicken breasts and washed them down with a large smoothie for a tasteless, but excellent Paleo dinner.  I could have put more effort into making more of the chicken breasts, but I was hungry and didn’t feel like going through it.  Oh well…I was full and molecules were all that mattered.

Bike Duration: 90 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 1250.

No comments:

Post a Comment