Monday, February 6, 2012

A push-up century...

Saturday, February 4, 2012
One hundred can be such a big number.  I can still remember riding my first century.  I was an 18 year old senior and thinking about riding my bike to Florida after graduation.  A fellow classmate was scheduled to join me, so on a hot day in May, we took a trip to Pennsylvania traveling along Route 6 east, turning at the border and making our way back.  We made it that day and I did another ten on the ensuing bike hike to New York and a visit to my Grandparents…the course I chose instead of a ride to Florida.

Another memorable 100 for me was done as part of the Iron Man Triathlon.  It was the first time I would ride one after swimming 2.4 miles and with a marathon still to run.  It pretty much sucked. 

Then there was the 100th birthday party for my grandmother.  She was the first centurion I’d ever known personally…and now she’s 106 and going strong.

And as many of you know, I’ve been in pursuit of my push-up century.  I spent the summer doing the Survival Workout and pushed my numbers into the sixties, but I really started thinking that 100 was just out of my range.  Then I hit 80 in November and took up the quest to reach it by the end of the year with vigor.  I never made it there…but popped 94 a couple of weeks ago.  I’ve been dragging lately with the nagging injury to my right arm and wasn’t expecting to make it anytime soon. 

I began the workout as I always do…with a set of push-ups, but with intensity.  I find that when I attack them early and go as fast as I can for as long as I can, I get further.  My goal was the high 80’s.  I hit fifty with my temples starting to throb.  When I made it to eighty, I started thinking I had a chance and at ninety with my arms faltering, knew it would be close.  As I moved down after 99 and slowly pushed my way up, I wasn’t sure if I’d make it back up…my arms were wobbling that much and the vessels on the sides of my head felt near bursting.  I locked out briefly at the top…and collapsed to the frost-covered dirt.  I laid there for a moment…nose and mouth to the cold earth and mumbled “yeah” to myself…which go my tongue dirty.  I climbed to my feet and looked for someone to tell…but who would care?  ‘Kim’ I thought, and reached into my car and texted ‘100!’ to her.  I thought about quitting right there…heading home and having a smoothie and relishing in my triumph…or maybe go for a long bike ride.  Instead, I did 50 dips and headed down the trail for the remainder of the workout.

When I got home, I went to tell Holly.  She was working on her computer and was a little distracted.  “Made it.  Did 100 push-ups today,” I said proudly.

“That’s nice John, but eagle’s are still just birds.”

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment