Monday, February 27, 2012

The doctors agree...

Saturday, February 25, 2012
Savannah was home from Ohio State for the weekend and…quite naturally…the Jeep needed repair work.  Her driver’s side window cable had broken, which meant the window would only stay up if we wedged a piece of wood between the glass and the frame.  Not your idea situation, so I called Dan and he told me to bring it out.

I hate to go out empty handed and I had a Nalgene full of smoothie to share with him, but I needed something more so I stopped at Patterson’s Fruit Farm on the way and visited their bake shop.  They have fritters there the size of my head, so I grabbed one for Dan and one for Jack.  The lady at the counter added a third saying it was the end of the day and she didn’t want to see them going to waste.  They wouldn’t in my possession.

I arrived at Dan’s and offered him a drink of the smoothie.   “This is how I got thin, Dan,” I said as he took a drink, “and this is how I get fat again,” handing him his fritter.

He liked the smoothie…and loved the fritter.  Hard to fault that line of thinking.  He pulled the door apart to see what he’d need to order and put it back together…wood wedge still in place.  She’d be home for spring break in three weeks and he’d fix it correctly then.

I swung by the Achilles Running Shop in Mentor on my return trip to meet with Dr. Mark Mendeszoon to continue my quest for answers to my article, ‘Good pain…bad pain’.  He confirmed much of what I’d heard the day before from Nilesh, which was encouraging and had some more gems of his own to offer.

“Good pain…the kind that leaves you stiff and sore at the beginning of the day or run should go away once you get warmed up and moving.  Bad pain never does,” he said.

He completely agreed about the importance of core work as the key to avoiding injuries and had that at the top of his chart, as well.  I also questioned him about compression socks and their value.  If you didn’t know already, these are socks that end just below the knee with far more compression than standard socks.  They constrict surface blood vessels, thus forcing circulating blood through narrower channels causing more blood flow back to the heart instead of pooling in the feet and lower leg and thus, theoretically, improving performance in aerobic sports.

“I believe they work just as advertised and I encourage all my runners to use them,” he said.

He mentioned the core training class offered at the store every Monday evening starting at 5:30 p.m. and I agreed to come and check it out. 

I headed home for another exciting ride on my trainer.  I did learn a great deal about ‘Thunderbeast’…the American Bison…in a National Geographic special about this amazing animal.  I followed that with a documentary about George Washington…and suddenly I’d ridden another hour and forty minutes.

Bike Duration: 100 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 1400.

No comments:

Post a Comment