Sunday, February 12, 2012

Homeless man scares off diners...

Friday, February 10, 2012
I looked at my cell to see the incoming call was from Savannah which normally meant one thing…trouble with the jeep.  Otherwise, she texts.

“Dad…mom was too busy to hear this story, but I know you’ll appreciate it,” she began in her normal, machine-gun sentence delivery.

She went on to tell me that she and her boyfriend, Kyle, were backing out of a restaurant parking spot when he crunched into another parked car.  He saw that the damage was worthy of a note and was looking in his car to find paper and a pen when the owners of the car came out of the restaurant and got in…not noticing any damage.  He quickly went to the car to give them his information. 

“Excuse me…hello…I need to tell you something,” he said, indicating to the driver that they should roll the window down. 

He’s a scruffy looking fellow with a thick beard and wild hair and they were in a part of town where panhandling is not unheard of.  The driver…a young woman…waved him away and began pulling out.  He stood aside and watched as they sped off…happy to have avoided saying “no” to a bum.

“They’re going to get home and see the damage to the side of the car, and then they’re going to figure out that he wasn’t a bum,” she finished, laughing.  And I suppose it was funny though I’m wondering about Kyle’s driving skills…and whether he needs to visit the barber again.

I rode another 90 minutes on the trainer and watched the final two episodes of ‘Everest: Beyond the Limit.’  One of the climbers was there because a close friend had paid his $60,000 to climb.  They wanted to do it together and the poorer friend was a good climber and would motivate his richer buddy.  I know I’ve said I don’t want to be on Everest…that there is no appeal for me…but I suppose I’ve been kidding myself.  The views there are to die for and they get to climb and camp for up to sixty days.  I guess what I’m saying is that if anyone wants to pay my way to go with them…I won’t say no.  The challenge of standing on top of the world certainly has its appeal.

Bike Duration:  90 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 1250.

No comments:

Post a Comment