Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A nice run and hike...

Monday, October 8, 2012
It was cool and crisp and a perfect day for either running or riding.  To ride, I would have to put on an extra layer of clothes and possibly grab some gloves, two things I was as yet unwilling to do.  I suppose I could have manned up and handled the cool air, but with the weather forecast calling for temperatures about 5 degrees higher tomorrow, I elected to do a run and shoot for a long ride tomorrow.

I took my favorite trail through the woods and proceeded with caution.  Every day further into the fall we go, more leaves are covering an already treacherous trail.  I watched closely as I placed each step and the run seemed to breeze by.  I made my way down towards the marsh before exiting onto River Road for a short distance.  I re-entered the woods and finished a 45-minute run by climbing a steep and slippery hill to my car.  Once there, I called Holly to let her know it was time to join me for a hike.

She arrived 15 minutes later and we did our hike using the bridle paths.  We finished close to 7 p.m. and almost in darkness.  It’s the only part of fall I don’t like.  Wouldn’t it be perfect if we could continue to push the clock and keep daylight hours up to 9 p.m. throughout the fall?  It’s absolutely the best time for so many outdoor activities and so what if it’s dark until 9 in the morning...I’m just working anyways.

I returned home thinking about having the leftover ribs from Sunday’s dinner only to find that Jack had eaten them all.  This is the same kid who a day earlier had told me he didn’t like ribs because he didn’t like to eat food with his hands.

“Well...that’s terribly inconvenient for you since you like pizza, chicken, burritos and all forms of sandwiches,” I said.

To which he made no comment.  He sees little reason to defend his statements of the moment.  Pointing out such discrepancies does nothing to change his mind.  In fact, it seems to entrance him and should prepare him well for a career in politics. 

Run Duration: 45 minutes.  Hike duration:  40 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 bpm running and 80 hiking.
Calories burned during workout: 765 running and 325 hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment