Thursday, October 25, 2012

The World Series begins...

Wednesday, October 24, 2012
We’re in the last week of October...according to my calendar...but the weather was like late August.  With temperatures in the high seventies and the sun shining in a cloudless sky, I rode out my driveway with a full supply of water and intentions of riding for two hours.  I hadn’t gone ten minutes when I noticed a strange clicking noise coming from the bike and coinciding with the turning of the pedals.  I stopped to see if I’d gotten a leaf or twig lodged in the crank or chain, but could find nothing.  The noise disappeared but would return occasionally throughout the ride.  Winter bike maintenance was upon me.

The ride went smoothly from that point.  It may seem like summer, but with darkness settling in by 6:30, rides need to be shortened.  Still, I managed two hours with no unusual aches...quite novel.  I returned home and put together a huge smoothie with a new ingredient.  I know my daughter adds vegetables to hers...a disgusting thought for me at first...but I thought I’d give it a try and threw in five baby carrots.  I honestly couldn’t taste them and I know she puts in spinach and other green leafy things, so I think I’ll try that, as well.  I began drinking smoothies for two reasons...sensible calories and to satisfy my craving for sweet things like milkshakes.  I want to continue with my Paleo diet, but I often find it impractical to eat my vegetables since I hate to cook them.  Mixing them in the smoothie and camouflaging their taste, if it works, will be brilliant.  I’ll move slowly though, experimenting with the spinach before trying something as drastic as, let’s say, broccoli or cauliflower. 

I tuned into Game One of the 108th World Series.  Though the San Francisco Giants, dating back to the early career of Willie Mays and Juan Marichal, has always been my second favorite team behind the Red Sox, I am a creature of the American League and feel the need to root for the Detroit Tigers.  They had their heads handed to them in the game and I suspect it will be downhill from here.  I wrote to Don to say that we needed to get together for every elimination game and have a spaghetti dinner.  There could be three of those, which is what San Francisco faced against the Cardinals to make it to the Series.  Anyway, I like spaghetti so three days of it is no problem.

Bike Duration: 2 hours.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 1,700.

No comments:

Post a Comment