Monday, October 22, 2012

Costco? No thanks.

Saturday, October 20, 2012
I could see it was going to be a full day of visiting and decided to take in a hike in the park with Dakota to start the day.  I returned home and began making my famous waffle batter since we would be entertaining for breakfast.  My waffles are as far from Paleo as a meal can be unless you consider the strawberries Holly turns into a strawberry, syrupy item we dump on top of a waffle smothered in butter, maple syrup and whipped cream with a side of bacon Paleo...but probably not.  It is just one of those times when I admit I’m not perfect and keep it limited to once a month or so.  Our friend Ash was coming for a visit and waffles with bacon had been our special breakfast, so I was compelled to make it.

Her visit ran over into John’s stopping by.  We sat and talked for another hour before she had to leave.  John had some time to kill and we’d talked about hiking since all other forms of exercise were still beyond his fragile, scarred body.  I gave him a little more shit about being so stupid as to ride down Hines Hill Road and reminded him that next climbing season I would be restricting him to a plastic bubble for the month before our trip in an effort to keep him from needing any surgery or hurting himself again.  It was miserable outside as we considered what to do and since shopping at Costco was on his list, I decided to join him.

We’re BJ’s people and after spending thirty minutes in the Mayfield Heights Costco, I’m thrilled we are.  Though this store is only five minutes from our house, I’d rather have gout in all ten toes than return weekly to shop there.  For starters, it’s huge...and size doesn’t always matter.  I’ve never seen so many people pushing carts, clogging aisles, and generally walking around with their heads up their butts.  I suppose the prices are great and they have everything under the sun, but the hassle of the crowds, which John said were always there, would be too much for me. 

“Actually, they don’t have everything we need.  We’re members of Sam’s Club, too,” he admitted. 

I thought ‘holy shit...you go through this and you don’t have everything you need?’  We loaded his cart and proceeded to the check-out line where it dawned on John that all he had to pay was a credit card.  “I don’t think they’ll take it,” he said.

He was right.  “They’ll take one at BJ’s,” I said as we headed for the door and my house to grab a check.  When we returned 15 minutes later, we found our cart where we’d left it and returned to the cashier who’d sent us on our way previously.  He rang up the purchases and I filled out the check, which he took and began comparing the name on the check to the membership card John had given him.  I’m not entirely sure why he was doing this...clearly we were two different people...and when he announced that the name on the check was not the same as the membership card, I began a slow boil.

“Um...really.  Remember us telling you we’d drive to MY house to get a check since he...the member...lived in Twinsburg, which was, you know 35 minutes away?  Do you suppose that would have been the time to tell us that you wouldn’t be accepting my check?”  He had that ‘deer in the headlights’ look going and signaled for a manager.  He came over and explained the policy of not taking checks from non-members, though he would gladly take a debit card from one.

“If we’d had a debit card, we wouldn’t have gone through all the trouble of leaving to get the check,” I said, still in the red zone, having now endured two trips to Costco’s for what appeared to be for nothing.  He said he’d see what he could do, which didn’t make either of us happy since we knew what he should do was just approve the damned thing and move on.  When he returned with an approval, he condescendingly said that he could only do this just this one time, as though we were some conspirators who would be returning to pull off this incredibly stupid, time wasting caper again next Saturday. 

So...no more Costco for me.  I made an amazing smoothie when we returned and by the time John was on the road again, it was dark and too late for any kind outdoor workout and way too early in the season to be riding a trainer indoors, so I did nothing for the rest of the evening.

Hike Duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 80 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 400.

No comments:

Post a Comment