Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Finally...a workout.

Sunday, October 7, 2012
I made my way to the Metropark in a cold, morning drizzle determined to get in a workout.  I donned my rain gear, hooked my feet onto the rail near my car and began my reverse incline push-ups.  I wasn’t expecting much since it had been a couple of weeks since my last regular sessions of the Survival Workout, so I was pleasantly surprised to hit 72 on my first set.  I followed that with a very respectable 60 dips and started down the muddy trail for my next station.

I discovered quickly that although I was able to ring up good numbers on my first set, I lacked the endurance on the second and third ones.  Still, I was out and challenging myself and my arms and upper body were feeling the burn of the layoff.

The rain continued to fall throughout the workout and my hands, muddy from picking up logs and rocks, were wet and cold.  It seemed way too early to be going through this, but with last winter being so mild and softening me up, I was beginning to dread the months ahead.  I’d shredded my winter workout gloves last spring and knew I’d need to be replacing them soon.

I came home and tuned in the Browns game (which would do nothing for relieving my upset stomach) while helping with preparations for Heidi’s 24th birthday party celebration.  Ribs were on the menu and I love them, but my stomach was saying “stay away from fatty foods.”  I don’t think my head was listening though, as I managed to eat about twenty.  I did steer clear of the rest of the meal with the exception of the salad, though. 

It wasn’t a satisfying workout.  I’m still struggling with feeling well and hoping things will break my way over the next couple of days.  I’ll consult with Nilesh on the elbow and see if there is any modification of our current plan that might serve me better.  Maybe tomorrow I’ll manage a bike ride since the forecast, though chilly for riding, is at least dry.  Daylight savings time is over in three weeks and that means rides after work will have to be on a trainer.  I need to take advantage of my few remaining opportunities.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment