Monday, October 1, 2012

Sidelined...


Thursday, September 27 through Sunday, September 30, 2012
The worst pain I’ve ever experienced was my first bout with kidney stones.  On a ‘10’ scale of pain where ten is the worst and zero is normal, it was a ten for a couple of days.  Gout is not quite so bad...for me, at least.  It peaked at an ‘8’ on Thursday and dropped down to a ‘6’ on Friday and hovered between three and five over the weekend.  It was not until Sunday that I felt good enough to actually do anything other than sit most of the time and spent a couple of hours cleaning out the garage and moving things around. 

The Indians fired their manager, Manny Acta, and replaced him with long-time Indians catcher and six-time all-star, Sandy Alomar, last week.  It was inevitable.  I’d suggested earlier in the month that they do what really needs to be done and fire the owner, his son the CEO, Mark Shapiro and Chris Antonetti, team president and team GM.  They are the responsible parties for the current roster and the manager they all agreed to fire and they should...but never will...hold themselves accountable.  Looks like they all got together on the Titanic and decided the deck chairs needed to be rearranged.  Should fix everything.

Jack went to his first homecoming dance and looked dapper in his suit.  He had asked me to come to the girl’s house and take some pictures and I mentioned mom would be coming, too.

“Don’t bring Dakota, dad,” he said, concerned about what I’m not sure.

“Really Jack?  Because I ALWAYS take her when I’m going to take pictures of a bunch of people dressed in formal wear and in a stranger’s home.  Are you sure I should leave her home...she’ll be terribly disappointed,” I said...with some sarcasm.

“Yeah.  I, um, think it would be a bad idea,” he said.

I assured him I would never bring Dakota and asked him what made him think he even needed to tell me.

“You do goofy things sometimes,” he said.

He should talk. 

Well...it has been a week since my last bout of real exercise, which is the longest break I’ve taken in the last several years.  I guess that’s not entirely true...I did have a week off when I had knee surgery, but then I knew I’d be taking time off where as now I’m just in limbo wondering when it will all change.  And I’m not happy about it.  I believe I can get my riding shoe on now and if so, will try to squeeze in a ride today, though that may be impossible since I need to travel to Akron after work to take Heidi out for her 24th birthday.  I suppose one more day won’t make me a complete basket case, though it is close.

No comments:

Post a Comment