Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Quit riding on Hines Hill Road...

Saturday, October 13, 2012
Since mid-summer, I’d been thinking about ways to encourage Holly to travel with me to the Adirondacks for a couple of nights to do some easy hiking and enjoy fall colors.  I’d looked into different lodging arrangements, none that included time under the stars or in a tent or lean-to, but more appropriately an accommodation with indoor plumbing, electricity and a roof.  When I’d spoken to her about my plan, I noted the lack of interest and enthusiasm.

“Isn’t there someplace closer we can go that you’ve never been so it will be new to both of us?” she wanted to know.

Well sure there was.  But that wasn’t the point.  I wanted to show her how beautiful the mountains, lakes and streams of this wonderful area were, and I couldn’t do that in Northeast Ohio.  I also know a little something about living to fight another day and began rethinking my plan.  I came up with two alternatives that semi-pleased her; Kinzua Dam in the Alleghany National Forest, Pennsylvania and Letchworth State Park in New York.  Both were around four hours away, but neither seemed to grab her with excitement, particularly as she read a weather forecast for the day that indicated clouds and rain by the afternoon.

Finally, I said, “how about we go to Cuyahoga Valley National Park and hike to Brandywine Falls then catch some lunch in Peninsula.  It’s only 30 minutes away and if it rains, so what?”

She lit up at the suggestion.  I could see that the four-hour ride in a car...with no one but me...could have been the issue.  Shocking.

I drove into the park and down Hines Hill Road, the site of the bicycle crash that had kept John from coming to the Adirondacks with me.  I told Holly she should note the narrowness, blind curves and steepness of the road as we proceeded.  As we descended, I noticed a number of cyclists...as many as 20...making their way up the hill on the opposite side of the road.  Most were walking their bikes and taking up a good 4-foot section of the pavement, or about twice as much as they would have if they were still pedaling instead of walking.  Cars were forced to swerve well into my line to avoid them and on the blind turns, it was truly a treacherous stretch of road.

Yes...cyclists are legally permitted on these...and almost all non-highway roads.  And yes, I’m an avid cyclist and willing to defend the right to the road wherever and whenever it makes sense.  This was not one of those times.  I’ve ridden over 100,000 miles in my biking career and feel qualified to say “you gotta be a moron to ride on Hines Hill Road.”  Sorry John...and anyone else who takes their bike to this hill...but give it up and find a safer route!  There are so many great places to ride, even in this vicinity, that are not nearly so dangerous.  Do they have a right to ride there?  Yes.  Should cars be looking for cyclists and use extra caution?  Yes.  If you wipe out going down because it’s so steep and winding, or should a vehicle weighing over 2,000 pounds hit you, will you get seriously messed up?  Absolutely.  Find another hill!

We parked and hiked for about 90 minutes, climbing through the gorge to Brandywine Falls and back to the car again.  It was my first trip to the Falls and I can see why they are such a local attraction, cascading the height of a five-story building to the pool of water at their base.  It was sunny and cool and the colors, though not in full bloom, were still magnificent.  Though not as spectacular as the ‘Grand Canyon of the East – Letchworth State Park’, we received a lot of bang for our buck and had a decent hike to boot.

Hike Duration: 90 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 80 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 450.

No comments:

Post a Comment