Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The firing of Maria Graciani...

Tuesday, October 9, 2012
I work with a population that often times have committed a crime.  These people are trying to return to the work force, sometimes after long periods out of it, and are often anxious to be making a contribution while eliminating the need for public support.  Only they can’t find work because many potential employers have a policy of not hiring someone with a criminal background...regardless of the circumstance or the length of time since the crime was committed.  Many of my clients were mixed up with drugs in an effort to self-medicate mental illnesses that they did not understand and were powerless to control.  Knowing their struggles, it disheartened me to read the story of Maria Graciani, a 38-year old mother of three and student who was unable to return to her job with Cuyahoga Community College as a student ambassador because a background check revealed a 16-year old felony conviction for aggravated assault.

Maria had been performing the job for two years and received exceptional ratings in all 14 categories on her May review.  Like so many felons who have repaid their debts and done their time, she became the victim of a distant past and an employment landscape that seems to think the message we should be sending ex-felons is “you’ll never work again...return to a life of crime.”

Never a fan of HR departments and their narrow-minded approach they bring to their jobs, it didn’t surprise me to read the comments coming from Tri-C’s.  Chris Board, human resources executive director, said that then newly-enacted background check policy was created for safety reasons.  When asked if Maria’s 1996 conviction made her a safety risk to the students she introduced to, and familiarized with the campus, she said she could not comment on the case.

Really?  You can’t comment on what is obviously and total screw-up?  Just admit it.  Your policy is narrow-minded and needs oversight from a human being.  You don’t normally find those in an HR department, so be careful where you put the power to make these far-reaching, final decisions.  We’re talking about a person’s life here and how they will or will not be able to live it.

I boarded Big Red for what I hoped would be a ride of two hours or more.  It was cool...in the low fifties...so I pulled on a short-sleeved t-shirt under my riding jersey.  I packed a pair of socks in my bag incase my feet got too cold and headed down the road.  When I got out of the saddle to climb my first hill, I quickly became aware that my gout toe was still not 100%.  Climbing forces you to put additional pressure on the ball of the foot and when I did, I could feel an ache in my right foot that was not present in the left.  It wasn’t horrible, but it wasn’t right either.  Climbing also forces me to pull harder with my arms and this activated the pain sensors in my right elbow, as well.  I’m just an old wreck, but I refuse to give into these nagging little injuries.

It was an above average effort in the end.  I worked hard for the first hour, but backed off during the second in deference to the fact that I hadn’t ridden in almost three weeks.  When I returned home, I made my first smoothie in a week as I tried to complete the cycle of exercise and healthy eating...something I’ve largely ignored since the return from the Adirondacks.

Bike Duration: Two hours.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 1700.

No comments:

Post a Comment