Monday, October 22, 2012

Memories of the Cleveland Athletic Club...

Friday, October 19, 2012
I attended a funeral service for an old friend and co-worker from my days of working at the Cleveland Athletic Club.  Whenever I have anything to do with the CAC, it’s hard not to think about my years there and the absolute perfect job I had as Athletic Director.  I was in the shape of my life at that time and loving every minute.  My days began and ended with a bike ride for six months of the year as I would regularly commute from my home in Willowick to downtown Cleveland and back.  I spent much of the day conducting fitness tests, taking people through workouts, testing cholesterol, and answering questions about health and fitness.  If a volleyball team was short a player or a handball match needed another body, I was there.  I worked out an average of three hours a day and loved every minute.  Staying in shape was a breeze and looking back at those times, I can now understand why so many people claim they ‘don’t have time’ for exercise.  Work was my exercise and fitting it in was never an issue.

I suppose I’m managing pretty well now, though.  It took the blog for me to once again make it a priority.  Without the writing, I often times found excuses for not doing what I knew I should do.  Now, I feel like I’ll let more than just myself down if I don’t...and that truly bothers me.  As long as one person continues to read, I’ll continue to write...and continue to work out.

I made my way to the park at the end of the day to run.  The leaves continue to fall and their layering of the hiking trails is complete.  There is little evidence of earth beneath this sea of leaves and if not for the rises in the covering, I’d have no idea where the roots and rocks were.  I started out running slowly and stayed that way.  I’d rather run the hiking trails and move gingerly than take the bridles, which the park uses a leaf-blowing vehicle to clear.  It’s trickier, but much prettier.  Besides, I’ve been known to trip on humid air so there really is little difference.

Run Duration: 45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 750.

No comments:

Post a Comment