Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Elbow's getting worse...

Sunday, October 14, 2012
Holly’s dad had two dressers that we needed to move from his place to ours, but with the way my elbow has been feeling, I’ve been reluctant to do it.  Since it is now sore all the time, I’ve decided to do things anyway and so I unloaded the seats from the van and drove over to pick them up.  Jack was there to help me, but when you’ve got one end of anything and you’re taking it down a flight of stairs, you pretty much are on your own on your end.  I could feel the tendon in my elbow and sense that it was wondering just what I thought I was doing.  We loaded it in the van and went through a similar process when we arrived back home...dragging them upstairs and into Jack’s bedroom.  I went back and put the seats in the van and was thinking of icing my elbow and watching some of the Browns game when I noticed weeds all over the sidewalk.

Holly does most of the weeding.  She pulls and throws and wherever they land is where they’ll stay unless I come by to retrieve them.  It’s kind of an unspoken partnership.  Unspoken because if I talked about it, I’d probably end up with more work.  Better to fly under the radar on this one.  Anyway, I went to work outside dragging around a trash can and filling it.  From that I moved to cutting down some of our Oriental grasses and bundling them for a trip to the curb.  Finally, I chipped away at the brick facade on the front of the house that had been cracking because water had gotten behind it.  I loaded this into the trash can, which gave it considerable bulk and when I went to move it to the garage, found that it now weighed about a hundred pounds.  I pulled with the arm I shouldn’t have pulled with, though only having two I found that I kind of needed them both.  The pain was enough to make me wince and when I finally dragged it into the garage and completed my sweeping chores, I headed inside for some Tylenol and ice.  My workout for the day was shelved.

It’s been that way lately.  I can’t seem to stay healthy for a solid week.  And it’s not age.  Well...maybe it’s a little bit age.  Mostly I think it’s me not listening to the signals to back off when something hurts.  That’s not age, either since I’ve always been stupid that way.  I suspect I’ll be going for more treatment for the elbow since I can see no end in sight for its recovery.  Since the knee turned out so well, I’m okay with that, but I think I’m going to have to do something sooner rather than later.  For now, I’ll continue to try different things, hurt myself and whine a little and try to get through the rest of the fall while the weather is still nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment