Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Riding indoors...

Monday, October 29, 2012
Hurricane Sandy had begun her assault locally with rains and high winds.  Neither are things are particularly care for when doing a workout, so I decided to put the old Univega on the trainer and do my first indoor ride.  Now that I have Netflix and a giant computer screen, I think I’ll find riding indoors a little more palatable.  I tuned into an episode of ‘Friday Night Lights’ and began to spin away.  The episode kept me reasonably focused and forty-five minutes quickly passed.

As I watched the storm turning inland on TV after my ride, I was again thankful for living in Northeast Ohio where we never seem experience weather catastrophes.  I have friends and relatives in the direct path of the waters and winds ravaging the coast and through facebook, was able to see how they were doing.  All had electricity for the time being, though that would likely change in the next couple of days.

I checked my supply of batteries and flashlights, putting them in convenient places.  Camping has created a surplus of headlamps, extremely valuable tools in a blackout.  I told Jack to ignore the garbage as I didn’t want it blown all over the neighborhood by morning.  We have enough garbage cans to skip putting it out for a week.

I continued to field political calls on our land line.  I can’t remember ever getting so many obnoxious calls and if I could only take the time to listen to whose calling, I could make sure not to vote for them.  I don’t have the patience and as soon as I say ‘hello’ and don’t get an immediate response from a human, I hang up.  I hate this invasion of my privacy and the politicians may be the final straw that causes me to cancel my landline. 

Bike Duration: 45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 625.

No comments:

Post a Comment