Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Another amazing state meet...

Saturday, June 8, 2013

I was standing in front of the Chipoltle menu board and the server was asking what I would like to eat.  It was noisy in the store and my hearing isn’t the best, so I leaned my head over the plexiglass that served as a barrier to the customers and the food.

“Sir…could you please move back,” he said politely.

I moved back and watched his lips move, so I knew he was asking me something else.  I leaned in again to hear him and he again asked me to lean back.  I pointed at my ears to indicate I couldn’t hear him, but he kept asking me things in that soft voice.  He passed me along to the next server who would be adding a meat and other ingredients to my burrito.  His lips were moving, too, though I only heard about every third word.  I leaned in again.

“Excuse me, sir, but you have to keep your face behind the plexiglass,” he said.

“If I do, I can’t hear a word your saying.  And besides…your face is right over all the food and you don’t have a mask or hairnet, so what’s the difference?” I asked.

He didn’t have an answer to that, but I suppose they delouse and sanitize themselves inside and out before starting their shifts so that no unwanted germs drift from their persons to the food they’re serving.  Though I don’t want them sneezing or drooling on my food, I really don’t worry too much about germs floating onto what I’m about to eat.  I have an immune system that I try to keep strong by introducing it to these things so I’ll be able to fight them off.  You simply can’t avoid all germs by using hand sanitizers, gloves or even a plastic bubble.  I figure I just have to face them head on.

As usual, the state meet was full of amazing competition, including for the first time in the state of Ohio, wheelchair competition.  Ohio became the 17th state to add wheelchair events to their track and field itinerary and there were probably 8 different competitors in the 100, 400, 800 meter races and the shot put.  They received a huge ovation when taking the track and again as they received their awards.  It was impressive and moving.

The sun was beating down on us all day so we opted to leave between Division II and I to find some shade.  With the Ohio State softball stadium immediately behind us, we made our way there and into the dugout for the 1-hour intermission.  Towards the end of that hour, it occurred to me to go and check for open doors on the building next to the field that housed the batting cages Kim and I had snuck into and used two years earlier.  To my surprise, they were open again.  I hurried back to the dugout.

“You guys need to grab your stuff and come with me,” I told Savannah and Marie.

They followed not knowing what to expect and when I led them into the building and they saw the cages and bats, quickly got nervous.  “Should we be in here?” Savannah asked.

“Look…the door’s unlocked and everyone knows I come to Columbus every year to watch the state track meet.  If they didn’t want me in here, they should lock the doors,” I said. 

Savannah didn’t was too much time pondering, but instead grabbed a bat and headed for the cage.  I was already at the pitcher’s mound with three balls in my hand.  I started throwing and she stared whacking.  After 20 swings, Marie stepped in while Savannah manned the camera.  When someone knocked at the door, both girls froze like bank robbers with a handful of twenties.

“Don’t worry…the door was open and we’re just hitting balls.  It’s what this room is for and it’s always easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission,” I hypothesized.

It was just some kids pulling on door handles like I always do and they quickly left when they found a door with people behind it…people who acted like they belonged where they were.

I suppose it’s not the best lesson to teach young folks entrusted to my care, but it was fun and we cleaned up and left no trace of our presence.  I think Marie enjoys going along since I tend to stir up trouble with each trip; something she feels comfortable with.

I ate poorly all day and didn’t do much of anything resembling exercise.  It was the state track and field championships though and I enjoyed the best entertainment of the year.  I slept without guilt that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment