Saturday, June 29, 2013

Hiking out...

Saturday, June 22, 2013

It was turning out to be the strangest Adirondack trip I’d ever taken.  Normally, these trips are filled with long hikes up steep mountains, plenty of sweat and sore hiking muscles and a feeling of complete exhaustion when finally getting back in the car to head home.  Not so this trip.

I woke around 6 a.m. and slowly began the process of packing up my gear.  Naturally, I was the only one awake and so I took my time and rekindled the fire to accompany my efforts.  It was a beautiful, peaceful morning on Round Pond with a slight mist rising off the water.  I love this time of the day and when camping, I typically have it to myself.  I’ve yet to meet a camping partner who rises as early…with the exception of Alaska Paul.  The only sounds are the slight rustling of fellow campers and the birds and wildlife already on the move for something to eat.

I knew I needed to get the crew moving if we were to achieve our goal of hiking out, having breakfast at Noon Mark, and being at my cousin’s place before the party began at 1 p.m., so I started making noise and shaking tents.

We were packed up and in the car by 8 a.m., but I needed a stop at Chapel Pond for a cleansing dip.  Since there was no one around and the site lines to the Pond are indirect, I wore my birthday suit into the water for a refreshing, exhilarating swim.  Warned off, the kids spent their time in the car.  I returned clean and awake for the drive to Noon Mark and my ham and cheese omelet. 

We arrived in Massena after a beautiful ride through the mountains and the Mohawk Indian Reservation a full hour early and with plenty of time for the kids to get showers and still help with the final party preparations.  I had managed only a 25-minute hike for the day’s exercise…hardly worth mentioning…but sometimes that’s just the way it is.  Since rain was falling throughout the day, I elected to sleep inside.

Hike duration:  25 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  90 bpm.

Calories burned during workout:  125.

No comments:

Post a Comment