Monday, June 10, 2013

Working out in the rain...

Thursday, June 6, 2013
It was raining but warmer and I had gear in the trunk.  I decided it would be a good day for a Survival Workout and texted Savannah to see if she wanted to join me.  She is almost always game and today was no different.  We arrived at the park to a light drizzle and plenty of mud, which would make climbing hills and swing sets out of the question.  I’d already done my push-ups, so I watched Savannah as she did her first set.

“Hey…perfect form.  You’re not bending your back and you’re going really low.  Nice job,” I said. 

She had clearly gained strength.  She was doing 15 ‘boy’ push-ups with perfect form.  We made our way to the first rock lifting station where she continued to impress me with her strength and the way she pushed to the final rep.  The most gains in strength are made when you’re challenging yourself and struggling with the final lift.  She was doing this consistently.

We made our way over a swollen Clear Creek and on to the cabins and swing set.  I attempted to climb, but the poles were simply too slick from the rain.  I would be missing those reps today, but added in some extra overhead rock lifts and rock rowing to make up some of the difference.

We finished up in a little over an hour, muddy and wet.  It was a day to do nothing and we’d managed to get in a decent workout anyway.  I always feel better when overcoming the elements and once you’re wet, it really feels pretty good to be out in the rain.

Survival Workout:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150 bpm.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment