Monday, June 17, 2013

Progress on the kayak trail...

Wednesday, June 12, 2013
I’ve begun to pick up the pace with contacting folks who can help me developing Tour Ohio.  I spent thirty minutes on the phone with Andrea Irland of the National Park Service, who is working on the creation of a Lake Erie paddling route along Ohio’s 312 mile-long coast.  I explained to her what I was hoping to accomplish with Tour Ohio and she seemed extremely excited.

“I’m talking with so many different groups about forming this paddling route, but you’re the only person I know that is actually getting their kayak in the water and trying to do it,” she said.

As we talked, I discovered that she’d just been at a meeting with my sister, Cecilia, as a representative of her ‘Spirit of America’ safe boating program.  She also mentioned that her brother, Brian Fowler, Lake Metroparks Chief of Outdoor Education, was there.

“He says you should let him know when you’re traveling and he’ll issue permits for you to camp,” she said.

And this is just the kind of cooperation I will need to flesh out the trail and make it something sustainable for all the residents of the state.  For me, it was an exciting call and fueled my enthusiasm to continue the work necessary to making this a reality.

I rode my Waite Hill course hard, trying to see how it would affect my hip.  It didn’t seem to, though my calf was sore and cramping towards the end and I’m really starting to think there is a connection…possibly the sciatic nerve.  Nilesh will answer those questions, I hope, upon his return. 

Bike duration:  Two hours and 5 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  1750.

No comments:

Post a Comment