Monday, June 10, 2013

Hiking, bleachers and camping out before the state meet...

Friday, June 7, 2013
As the time for Tour Ohio draws closer, I start to think about how little hiking I’ve done.  I suppose I’ll be counting on all my cycling training to carry me through hiking 20 miles a day for several days, but that really isn’t a solid approach.  I need to take some 10-15 mile hikes to get my feet and walking muscles in some kind of shape or the hiking could lead to some small, nagging injury that could become debilitating on the trail.  I was heading to Columbus for the state meet camp out and didn’t have time for a long ride, so I opted for a hike in the park.

I don’t really break much of a sweat hiking and my heart rate never goes over 100, so I wrestle mentally with calling this a workout.  It still is and is an important part of being ready for Tour Ohio, but as I climbed into the car after hiking for an hour, I felt the need to do more.  On the drive home, I pulled into Mayfield High School and drove back to the track where I parked and headed for the bleachers.  I managed 14 sets before noticing that time and the need to get home.

I showered and began the process of packing the car for a one night campout.  It ended up just being Marie and me for camping, but we had a nice campfire and good conversation about running, Tour Ohio, the Purdue track program, injuries and everything in between.  We hit our tents a little after midnight and I was just falling asleep when someone pulled into the camp site next to ours.  Never giving any thought to those around them, they attempted to build a large fire (failed because they didn’t know how) and generally raised a commotion for the next hour.  Either they didn’t have a lick of common sense about the disturbance they were making for those trying to sleep or they just didn’t give a shit, but either way, they kept me awake for the next hour.  They finally petered out and turned in themselves.  I figured I’d get up early and see what I could do to wake them up.

Hike duration:  70 minutes.  Bleachers: 10 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  90 bpm hiking and 130 for the bleachers.
Calories burned during workout:  400 hiking and 150 in the bleachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment